Packaging Products for sale or free for DS and Poser

I've given instructions here for packaging products in both Poser and DS. You can ignore the Poser instructions in section 1 if your products are for DS only, but file placement is essentially the same and it is important to make sure the files are set up correctly or the products won't load properly once installed...

Create a folder with the name of your product (you'll zip everything inside this folder with Winzip once the product files have been placed) and inside create the following...

1) For packaging for Poser do the following;

Runtime Folder, inside the product folder>

Geometries Folder > Product Folder, inside Runtime (place obj files in this folder)

Libraries Folder, inside Runtime >

> Character Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place CR2's in this
    folder)
    > Pose Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place Pz2 poses in this folder)
    > Props Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place Pp2 props in this folder)
    > Materials Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place Poser MC6 files in this folder)
    > Hair Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place Hair figure files in this folder)
    > Faces Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place face pose files in this folder)
    > Hands Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place Hand pose files in this folder)

Textures Folder > Product Folder, inside Runtime (place Textures and Templates in this
    folder)

2) For Packaging for DAZ Studio you do as above but there are a few extra folders to add...

The file tree should look something like this ...

Data Folder > Product Folder (place your product DUF files here)
    Presets > Materials > Product Folder (place materials preset DUF files here)
    Presets > Poses > Product Folder (place pose preset DUF files here)

Runtime Folder>

Geometries Folder > Product Folder, inside Runtime (place obj files in this folder)

Libraries Folder, inside Runtime >

> Character Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place CR2's in this
    folder)
    > Pose Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place Pz2 poses in this folder)
    > Props Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place Pp2 props in this folder)
    > Materials Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place Poser MC6 files in this folder)
    > Hair Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place Hair figure files in this folder)
    > Faces Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place face pose files in this folder)
    > Hands Folder > Product Folder, inside Libraries (place Hand pose files in this folder)

Textures Folder > Product Folder, inside Runtime (place Textures and Templates in this
    folder)

Once you've created the needed folders copy the product files into them and zip everything inside the main product folder with Winzip. Don't forget to create some product promo images for your product, you'll have to check what the requirements are for product promo's as different sites have different requirements for size. I think all this information is correct, but I may have missed a few things (I package my products in the Poser library formatting rather than the way DAZ has them organized since DS can use Poser formats and file structures and I'm trying to maintain cross-compatibility).

These are the main folders needed and where you will need to place them, you can simply ignore any of these folders that aren't needed for your product and don't need to create them if your product won't need them...
    Last edited by Theschell; September 4th, 2017 at 09:22 PM.
    Schell’s Armour Works… Home of “Theschell’s” Fantasy, Sci-fi and Historical models for Poser and also home to the free, Stand-alone, Anime Girl Kristin Figure. Come check out my Website and Store at schells.ca ... Hope to see you!

You will also need to create product thumbnails for your items. It is important that these thumbnails are included with the data files they are meant to represent (ie; Cr2, Pz2, etc). They should be 91 x 91 pixels and need to be in png format. The name of each thumbnail should be the same as that given to the item it goes with, for example "Shirt1.cr2" should have a thumbnail called "Shirt1.png". These thumbnails go into the same folders as the items they depict; thumbnails for poses go into the same poses folder as your pose.pz2 file, character thumbs go into the "Character" library in the same place as the Cr2 etc...

Both DS and Poser will automatically create a thumbnail when you save an item, pose etc... but these are generally very poor quality and it is usually better to create and render your own, to give your product some flair...

Lastly, You should include a read-me file for your product. The read-me should give a basic product description, should include special notes (as needed) on how to use your product to get the best results, a list of the files included in the product and where they are located, and also any usage restrictions or copyrights information that you want the end users to be aware of. I also usually include contact information so that my customers can know how to reach me with questions.

You should also try to include templates for your products... these templates make it easier for your customers to create their own custom textures and adds that much more value to the items you produce. The read-me file and templates can either be placed in the textures folder with the existing textures for your product, or you can create separate folders to hold them outside of the main runtime...

** SPECIAL NOTE** Different sites may have different requirements, and most sites will give a detailed explanation of how they wish files to be organized, required sizes for thumbnails and product promotional images, and what form the read-me file should take (and the information it should include). Be sure you check for this information when choosing a site to upload your products, as this will determine how you package your items and what you will need to include with them. it's also important to remember that while DS can read Poser content, Poser cannot read DS formatted files, so these would need to be converted to Poser formatting if you intend to distribute your products for Poser use...

The information I've provided here and above is general information, and some sites may have different requirements than what I've outlined here... I highly suggest getting an experience DS or Poser user to act as a beta-tester so that you can have your products tested before releasing them for sale or download, this way you can ensure that your product is working properly and the folders are properly organized. If I've gotten anything wrong I do apologize. Feel free to correct anything I've been mistaken on...
    Last edited by Theschell; September 4th, 2017 at 10:06 PM.

Thank you Chris. This is very helpful ;-)

No problem... I just hope I didn't miss anything...