Ghost Blade... The Lonely Parade

Have you ever wondered how some of the best 2d artists work their magic? Artist Wang Ling shares a bit of how he creates his art in the video for his image The Lonely Parade from the Ghost Blade series of art images he has created. It's not so simple as to draw and paint anymore as to get the dramatic effects he achieves, he's using state of the art effects you can use as well. It's all about developing your own style and presentation as the depth he creates in his art is amazing.

Watch along with the video and see if you can pick up some pointers... then show us the results of trying one or two things regardless how they turn out.

https://wlop.deviantart.com/

It is stunning to see the way this works. Should have a art education for this to make. Who knows for when I retire in 5 years. For sure a video to look and see the work

Yes. I don't expect people to pick up on every trick he uses to create his art. However, he made a beautiful presentation and just by seeing how he did it might give people ideas for rendering items as png's and then applying them together in photoshop, PSP or other programs.

Amazing video, a true artist. I always export my renders as png's and use a lot of layers in my images too, it is much simpeler to adjust things and move them around a little.

It provides a lot of alternatives a straight render won't allow including using different effects for each layer.

You are right about that. It's the only way to make images that are different from the straight out of the box artwork.

Check this one out. It's from the same series of art telling the Ghost Blade story

This one has an odd interruption in it which I think he's trying to convey he got frustrated and stopped work on the image. But then, ten years later,
    came back to finish it. This is something I try to convey to people. Don't rush your work. If it's an image idea you have in your head, finish it. If you give up on it, save the psd and come back to it. Other artists show us an image they did when their talent wasn't that good. But, years later, they came back to it and redid the work when their skills were much better.

First, get the idea and then create the art. If it's not how you imagined it because your skills aren't that good right now, save it and come back to it later when your skills have improved. Some artists will redo an image ten times before it's how they wanted it... but they remain devoted to perfecting the image because it's the idea they're trying to create as much as the art.

This is one of my favorite pieces that he did.

I have over a hundred images set up in poser which need to be finished, and from time to time I pick one and work on it till I'm satisfied with the result. I never give up on a image I have in my mind........LOL