Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Europa and Byzantium

Here are the Europe and Byzantine Empire maps. After the Roman Empire split into Eastern and Western Empires, the West eventually becomes the Holy Roman Empire while the East continues to exist as the Roman Empire. The Roman Empire of Dark World pushes further east and is eventually forced to split yet again as the western half of this empire collapses. The eastern half rebuilds and takes on the name Byzantium in fact rather than as a historians way to separate it from the old Roman Empire. Where the Old Roman Empire was Latin and the Eastern Empire became more Greek, this new empire would take on more Asian characteristics while retaining its Graeco-Roman heritage.

Byzantium takes the place of the Soviet Union on Dark World calling itself the Unione Imperiale Delle Repubbliche Romane Sovietiche. This happens as they push east taking advantage of all the things that enabled the Russians to conquer such a vast territory. In this reality, the Rus become part of the Norselands and survive at the furthest reach of that empire within Rus Khaganate / Russian Empire.

Europa evolves from the Western, or Old Roman Empire, and Holy Roman Empire. It would become more Celto-Germanic while retaining its Graeco-Roman heritage. This was also the end period of what was called the Crimson Reign, the time when most of Earths populations were ruled over by vampires and wereling creatures with darkblood in their veins.

Both empires still consider themselves Roman or "Roman Inspired" in heritage but they do not see themselves as one peoples. The Eastern and Western Empires would evolve to be alien from one another due to the barbarian peoples they absorbed from Asia and the Germans & Celts.

Any suggestions? Feedback? Questions? All are appreciated (except spam lol).

Last edited by Armorbeast; January 28th, 2018 at 03:04 PM.

I haven't done a flag for Europa yet. Trying to think of the best way to go about it. But I did create one for Britannia.

To explain this flag. The red dragon vs the white dragon should be known to any lover of history... the white dragon representing England and the red dragon representing the Welsh who survive as an independent kingdom settled on the northernmost region of the Atlantis Isles. Pirates and mercenaries play a bigger role in the British Empire period to explain the skull. The woman on chariot represents Boudicca and Britania the goddess of victory. The woman about to get her head lopped off represents the victory of humans and their werewolf allies in overthrowing the vampire rulers of the nation.
    Last edited by Armorbeast; January 28th, 2018 at 03:25 PM.

yeah that's good. The Red and White dragon also plays a part in the Matter of Britain - King Arthur. I think it was in an early version that Vortigern wanted to build a castle and couldn't because the foundations kept falling down. I can't remember the details but I know Merlin, as a young man/youth, solved the problem because basically he discovered two dragons fighting under the foundations, a red dragon and a white. Oh, here it is from Wikepedia "The ultimate source for the symbolism of white dragons in England would appear to be Geoffrey of Monmouth’s fictional History of the Kings of Britain (c. 1136), where an incident occurs in the life of Merlin in which a red dragon is seen fighting a white dragon which it overcomes. The red dragon was taken to represent the Welsh and their eventual victory over the Anglo-Saxon invaders, symbolised by the white dragon.[7] The tale is taken up by Nennius in the Historia Brittonum, which was written before Geoffrey of Monmouth was born. The dragons remain at Dinas Emrys for centuries until King Vortigern tries to build a castle there. Every night the castle walls and foundations are demolished by unseen forces. Vortigern consults his advisers, who tell him to find a boy with no natural father, and sacrifice him. Vortigern finds such a boy (who is later, in some tellings, to become Merlin) who is supposed to be the wisest wizard to ever live. On hearing that he is to be put to death to solve the demolishing of the walls, the boy dismisses the knowledge of the advisors. The boy tells the king of the two dragons. Vortigern excavates the hill, freeing the dragons. They continue their fight and the red dragon finally defeats the white dragon. The boy tells Vortigern that the white dragon symbolises the Saxons and that the red dragon symbolises the people of Vortigern. If Vortigern is accepted to have lived in the fifth century, then these people are the British whom the Saxons failed to subdue and who became the Welsh."
    I don't know where the Lion of England comes from, and love the use of the other symbols, specially Boudicca.

Thank ya much

What ya think of the map? May redo parts of it so nothings set in stone yet.

Someone asked me to explain a bit more about Britannia in relation to the map. Boudicca represents the Celtic elements comprising things like King Arthur and so forth so that she embodies it. On Dark World, Boudicca survives as a Queen of the Britons and her kingdom survives through the ages. The red and white dragons represents the wars between the Welsh and the British while the gold dragon represents the Anglo Saxons who aren't as much a part of the story as the Angles and Saxons weren't as strongly unified... thus, there's no gold dragon on the flag and the white dragon more represents the Angles and Britons. As I mentioned about the werewolf executioner, he represents when humans and werewolves overthrew the vampires that had ruled over them. That doesn't mean that vampires are excluded from the story of Dark World or are evil necessarily. Most vampires eventually are removed to Antarctica where Crimson Reign continues. The vampires had much greater freedoms her thanks to the skies being permanently darkened which led to greater abuses.

Thus, when they are overthrown, they are granted mercy in that those who were not viewed as evil would be banished where those who were would be executed. Vampires represented more of a problem because of their want and need for human blood which could lead to tragedy even where they did not intend it. Instead, criminals and outcasts throughout the mortal world would be banished to their tender mercies and when they developed the ability to create human replicants, they developed a trade with vampires providing them the blood they needed. The means for doing this would be to ritualistically cut down a tree. The stump would serve for where they would place their head but then, the stump would be burned along with the body of the vampire which would then be buried with a new tree ceremoniously planted to signify release and renewal. The pirate skull represents how on Dark World, Britannia becomes an empire through its ocean fleets similar to on our world. The difference is that it becomes more heavily influenced by its use of mercenaries and privateering so that a problem the British Empire of Dark World had was its many battles with Pirate Kings and being labeled a Pirate Empire or Empire of Pirates.

Most may be unaware that the flag of England is actually red and white because we're more familiar with the Union Jack representing the UK. But that's the foundation for the red and white flag itself.

As for the lions. On Dark World, lions existed much longer but are extinct by the time kingdom era thanks to the Romans love for animal fighting in the arena.

Oversimplification but there ya go

Last edited by Armorbeast; January 31st, 2018 at 08:40 PM.

Flag for Espana

Tinkered with the Britannia flag a little as well.

Am tinkering with some ideas for Europa. Blue and white with yellow stars and steel stripes is a bit odd but I like it. Did several versions with yellow stripes but like the green one best. I think blue should be the primary color though.

Basic blue yellow and white with no glow.

On the other topic, you mentioned Britannia as a real figure. On Dark World and the Worlds of Shadow, Britannia is the identity of Boudicca as she evolves from human into a goddess. In the actual mythology of Britannia, she's the personification of Victory and identified with the goddess Minerva. There's a lot of confusion about her so I take advantage of the confusion to create our version as all the contradictions and suppositions about how she came to be represented are great for modern myth-making. Boudicca on the English flag I created represents Britannia but I may develop a new flag representing the Commonwealth of Britannia. You were asking about the British Empire beyond Britannia and I told you it's basically dead. That's true as the empire itself is only on mainland Europe within the borders of Britannia. However, the Commonwealth of Nations still survives and Britain controls it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia

I also like using Pretannia in my stories and another name for Britain will be Albion in Dark World. But, each name will represent different things.

In the American Empire, the use of the term United States applies to the States. However, some of the Provinces in Canada will identify as Provincial States. So, when you guys over there refer to us as "The States", it would only apply to that region of the US and Mexico where they are identified as states and as the United States. Most don't know it but Mexico identifies itself as the United States of Mexico so the transition to a common name of United States won't be a difficult one. The Provinces of what was Canada actually have stronger alliances with Nunavut and are given more authority where Ultima Thule (the Great Island, Greenland) is concerned. Thus, they're responsible more for monitoring the zombies banished there.

So, the different names for Britain will have more meaning as Albion won't represent all of Britannia. That gives room for more fantasy to be developed such as the diplomatic alliance of the United Kingdom survived but as an alliance. I didn't use the term United Kingdoms because I've already used the similar term for the United Danish Kingdoms, but it's still used for this particular alliance.