It's The Christmas Time of Year...

In just two days we'll be starting our annual Christmas contest and I thought maybe you'd like to send out some warm wishes or share some Christmas memories.

I can remember being a kid looking out at a cold Christmas Eve night thinking I saw Santa streaming across a night sky lit up by a full moon. Of course people like ruining it by telling you that's a jet airliner and there is no Santa, but the experience was still great. Listening to the Chipmunks was always fun and as long as the family wasn't fighting, it was always a fun experience.

I always looked forward to Christmas until it started in July as the earlier they started Christmas, the less enjoyable it became. Family had more time to prepare but they also had more time to get mad at one another so that the extra pressure of getting everyone a gift seemed to just take all the fun out of Christmas.

But, there's still Christmas magic if you search for it and there will always be something to enjoy... if you remember the fun times and try to make it just as fun for others.

So, get yourselves ready and let's try sharing some Christmas cheer this year shall we

It seems to be an advantage of getting old and not being able to move around much any more. But, a week ago I went to have lunch with my sister and her son and his wife. It turned out to be a little birthday party for my nephew, but on the way there I had the radio on and was just enjoying the drive.

After our little get together, on the way back I again had the radio on my favorite 'oldies' station when they played a Christmas song. It rather surprised me as I heard pretty much nothing of Christmas being mentioned at all this year. Then it dawned on me I had not really seen anything about Christmas either.

It's far better than usually being burned out on Christmas stuff by mid September every year!
    That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

Yep, when they start the Christmas songs November 15th and it's nonstop til New Years, you pray for some relief lol.

Coming from a very large, poor family I must say that we were happier with the hand made gifts or gifts that we later found out came from the church charity than kids are today with all their gadgets. We always got one big gift each and were so happy with what we got. At Christmas time we usually got a sleigh, toboggan or used skates.

We spent every day outside playing in the snow and making forts or snow people. Our mother spent all fall knitting us mittens, gloves, hats and scarfs. We were always happy to get another pair because we kept losing them or have them drying by the wood stove.

Being Catholic, we always went to midnight mass and I remember walking home in the softly falling snow and singing Christmas carols in our high, little voices. We looked forward to coming home from mass and eating mom's meat pies and being sent off to bed to await Santa.

I remember being crushed when my brother told me that Santa wasn't real and growing up a little more. Brothers can be some mean sometimes but he was only a little over a year older than me and I think he had been told by the kids at school.

Being poor we didn't get a lot of fruit during the year but at Christmas morning, in our stocking, we got a red Delicious apple, or an orange, or some grapes and very occasionally, a banana. We also got ribbon candy and what we called shapes which is also called barley candy, which always got stuck to the inside of the stocking.. lol.

Sometimes I wish we could go back to those simpler times where family was more important than material things.

Ha, ha, ha! Enjoyed reading your musings about your childhood memories. Like your family, mine had no money either, though as kids we did not know that we didn't have money or lived on 'the wrong side of the tracks.'

It wasn't for many years later that my Mom or Dad would tell me something of what it was like when I was a kid. My Dad telling me how each year he would start a 'Christmas Club' account at the bank and when ever he had a spare buck or two he'd put it in the account. I've since thought about it and often wondered if they ever had more that $25 or $30 in that account come Christmas.

My Mom telling me how they had bought me a set of hockey skates one year for Christmas at the Good Will store and that they were so happy that the $1 they'd paid ending up lasting 3 years, the first two with newspaper stuffed inside to get them to fit, the third they did fit, but, alas, by the fourth I had out grown them.

But, I remember those skates, big, brown and they seemed to weigh half my weight and I tried my best each year to break my ankles every year!
    That which does not kill us only makes us stronger