Thread: Pantry Moths

Pantry Moths

Ok, so you're in your kitchen and you find little white worms where little white worms shouldn't be or maybe you have little bitty moths... what are they? When I moved to where I live now, I continued buying dry cat food for my cat Boo in large bags. It's economical to buy the bigger bags and one big bag can last up to six months with a single cat... frees up the cash to buy canned food as a treat or kitty treats which cost more in those little packs. Well, when I moved here I had to stop that because I began finding worms in the food and I couldn't figure out where they were coming from as there were no flies.... they looked like maggots so that's what I assumed they were. What I did notice were little moths and I also found them in the food.

I asked around and no one knew what these things were and now I have discovered what they are... pantry moths.

This little pests are a real pain because they're very elusive. You won't even know you have them until you see the moths in most cases and when they're in your pets food, that can cause a problem as they tend to bury themselves in hard food until they are almost ready to enter the next stage and become moths.

For humans, the problem is they can bury themselves in anything soft enough to chew into. This includes fruit, crackers and anything in boxes, paper bags or even plastic bags... the moths lay their eggs on these things where they smell food and when the eggs hatch, they apparently either eat through to get to the food or excrete an acid.

To make a long story short, they are harmless even if eaten apparently as they have a shirt gestation period and while they are extremely difficult to kill as maggots, in their moth stage they die easily as they aren't designed to be inside living animals. Standard moth traps, mothballs and so forth tend to get rid of them.

While they sound disgusting, the worst thing about them is finding where they come from and because they are like any other moth... they can do a lot of damage eating paper and cloth like their larger cousins. Plus, these things can multiply faster so that you can kill every one you see one day... and there's just as many the next day.

Just thought I would share this because it was a huge pain trying to find out what these were and when I did, I found that a huge number of people have these pests but don't know what they are so that they seem to come back every single year.

Thanks for the info AB, always good to know.
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Disgusting lil buggers when you see them so it's important to know those white squiggly things aren't flies.

Yeah, we also have them here. Thank fully not in my house.

Click image for larger version

Name:	evil_moth.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	2948