Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Part of the issue getting anything "anime" going is that here in North America that attitude is that it's cartoon which is for kids not adults. It's an attitude I've run into many times over my years of collecting. People rent it for their kids thinking "hmmmmmm never seen this cartoon before... maybe little Timmie will like it..." and then flip when they discover that it isn't always kid friendly.

Also the moment you say anime to anyone the first thing that comes to mind is Pokemon or Yugioh and the kiddie anime that comes on tv on saturday... On top of all that we only get very limited styles of anime imported by mainstream companies here. Animation in Japan is as varied as the types of live-action shows we have here (and then some) but we got fed a steady diet of one or two styles of anime art (Aiko 3 is fairly close to what has become "anime" to most North American audiences).

I remember a few years back when I found a hentai dvd at Walmart and had to explain to the employee there what hentai was lol. She thought it was just a cartoon and I asked her if she was aware they made adult cartoons in the US... ironically, she was aware of that but was unaware that the people buying Walmarts dvd's didn't notice the warnings on the actual dvd or the stock person hadn't noticed as it clearly had nude images on the back and warned you about the content in English on the dvd cover. I became a fan of anime with things like Wrath of the Ninja and GITS so I never really got into the Pokemon stuff as I got into anime before any of that really got started in the US. I also remember Tekkaman, Guyver, Robotech... some cruder than others but far better than animation in the US then or now.

I occasionally tune into Cartoon Network to see what's on and frankly, it's pure garbage. The animation looks like some third grader did it with crayons and if this is what we get from US animators, it's no wonder anime became a hit with the kids where Pokemon and such are concerned.

Robotech... now that takes me back... lol

Robotech/Macross was what got me into anime in the first place years and years ago. I remember Tekkaman as well... I actually have the whole series in my anime library.

Problem is things like Pokemon, DragonBall, and Yugioh are the reason that most North American adults think that anime is just another cartoon type for kids. Most people think of shows like Sailor Moon as a kids show but it was actually much more adult oriented originally. They cut out the nudity, adult situations and a whole set of sex-changing Sailor Scouts (9 more scouts that never appeared in the NA releases) that changed gender from male to female during their transformation sequences...

What most people don't understand is that in Japan, anime is the equivalent of our live action tv, and the very vast majority is aimed at the over 16 market there... Japan is also a bit more liberal in what's acceptable and what isn't than we are...

Lol, I'm familiar with the Sailor Moon transformations and you can find them online. Anime is more adult oriented including things like Dragonball which also was edited quite a bit. But to air them on American television in syndication required selectively choosing the cutesy stuff. I actually liked Dragonball in it's original run but this rehashed version they're airing now claiming it's new when it's the same old stuff as before makes me think CN believes it's viewers are idiots.

Give me anime any day over Western animation as very few Western animations are worth watching. The Last Airbender was made here and is probably the closest thing to real anime America has ever produced... and it took Koreans to make it lol.

But it's possible to cultivate an anime following if you find a few people here and there who love it and who like 3d... you just have to get them all in one place.

I think Royloo has some older anime stuff if you've been to his site.

I have a bunch of his old freebie stuff from years ago but when I went looking for his site to replace a few of them it was gone... I grabbed a bunch of his old anime figures way back, mostly the Macross stuff

As for daily cartoons, I agree the animation quality has gone way down hill in a huge way. They also don't have the smart content any more. what I can remember watching at 3 or 4 is now aimed at kids of 8 or so... they've really dumbed things down a great deal.

We need a new version of Motoko from the PS1 game for a more modern character as I think Royloo's was for Posette.

You'd have to get someone else to attempt that... my own unique anime style is not exactly suited to Kusinagi... lmao

Some women have fake boobs... Kusinagi has fake everything lol

Yeppers... lmao... more plastic than Barbie...

Here's my current project for my Anime Girl... I'm basing this Power Armour Suit on the style of Shirow's various Guges Powered-suit designs, much in keeping with my own style and inspirations drawn from artists like Shirow.

I'm planning on making it fully conforming to my Anime Girl when finished... but I only started serious work on it a few days ago... it'd been sitting a while in my works in progress folder...

Click image for larger version

Name:	MechaSuitexample.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	3182